Thursday 10 January 2008

This Ain't So Bad When...

while preparing for the arrival of Cash...

Three More Miles


As per my plan of doing 10 miles/week on only 4 days of running, I bumped things up to three miles today and it felt pretty good. I'm running at night, in the cold, where no one can see me going really slowly, and I don't feel like any eyes are on me at all.

There is something to be said for having someone pushing you. When I was in ROTC, Captains Stelzig* and Muhlenberg as well as Major Schrek** would help me with my running. When we were training individually (I remember one particular 4 mile run with CPT Muhlenberg and an 8 miler with MAJ Schrek), they'd purposely run a step or two faster than I was able. That kept me pushing hard. If I couldn't keep the pace and I slowed down, they'd slow also, but they'd still be a step or two faster so I'd be going as fast as I nominally could.

But right now I'm building a base and I'm building motivation. It's nice to be going at a speed and a pace I can handle. There are no eyes on me at all at the Tram station. I can just concentrating on making sure I finish my mileage goal. This way I don't think, "man that sucked," and I can look forward to running next time.



The Stats

Starting Weight: 16 stone, 10lb. (234lb, 106kg)
Weight Last week: n/a
Current Weight: 16 stone, 12lb. (236lb, 107kg)
Δ Weight: +0 stone, 2lb. (+2lb, +1kg)

Mile goal this week: 8
Miles today: 3
Miles this week: 5
Miles last week: n/a
Total Mileage: 7

Weather:6˚C (41˚F), 6mph S, 93%R.H., Windchill 5˚C (39˚F)

Aches and Pains
: Nothing! I feel pretty good. No cramp today, and I think that's because I was much more conscientious about how much water I was drinking today. I do need a sweatband of some sort to keep sweat out of my eyes though.

Random Thoughts: I wonder if the people on the tram can see me when I'm not under a street lamp.

-rusty


*- last I heard, CPT Stelzig was MAJ Stelzig.
**- last I heart, MAJ Schrek was LTC Schrek.

No comments: